The company was founded in 1932 by Piet Saedt. As a marine engineer he started his business in a small building at the Amstelveenseweg in Amsterdam. Originally this residence was built to house the Olypmic rowing squad for the games of 1928. In 1948 Giel van de Klundert started his career at Machinefabriek Saedt as an intern and gradually worked his way to the top. He eventually took over the company in 1960 at the age of 30. A few years later his brother Kees van de Klundert joined to reinforce the administrative side of the company. In 1976 Giel’s son Rob (the current financial director) joined Machinefabriek Saedt and in 1981 his other son Ruud (the current technical director) also joined the family business . Due to the continues growth the company moved in 1979 to the Octaanweg in the port of Amsterdam.
Eventually in 1989 the company moved to its current location at the Westhavenweg in Amsterdam. In the same year the brothers Rob and Ruud van de Klundert took over the company and their father could enjoy a well-deserved retirement.